Grid Nomenclature

To help make creating and using grids as layout structure, it is a ggod thing to become familiar with the parts of a grid, and what those are called. Thus, more nomenclature. The illustrations and summaries are adapted from A type primer, by John Kane (ISBN 0-13-099071-X), which is a required text for my Graphic Design I courses.

Text page (Text area)
The area on the page where text appears, and that contains the grid. The text page is exclusive of margins. text page
Space around the text page, from the outside of the text page to the edges of the page. margins
One unit or module of the grid. A field’s height is calculated as a multiple of the text type’s leading, and its width is the line length. The upper left corner of a field is usually considered the active corner, and the lower right the passive corner. field
Vertical/horizontal gutter
Space separating fields, vertically or horizontally. The gutter, like the field height, is based on the leading of the text type. A gutter’s minimum width or height is an em, but should be larger, in order to distinguish the columns of text. gutter
The page number, which is usually placed in a margin area, but should relate to the text page. folio
Running head(er)/foot(er)
A guide, usually at the top (headers) or bottom (footers) of a page, which indicates the position in the manuscript. These may be title, chapter, section, author, etc. running header/footer